According to the Executive Summary of Giving USA 2011 Report of the Giving USA Foundation, charitable giving in 2010 was up 3.8% over 2009, well ahead of the inflation rate of 1.1%.
Sources of Charitable Donations
- Bequests show the greatest improvement with a gain of 18.8%, but bequests only account for 8% of the charitable giving.
- Donations by individuals, which account for 73% of total charitable giving, were up 2.7% over 2009.
- Foundations grants, which account for 14% of total giving, were down 0.2% verses 2009, while corporate giving, which accounts for the remaining 5% of giving, were up 10.6% verses 2009.
Recipients of Charitable Donations
- Giving to the international affairs nonprofit subsector had the greatest increase of 15.3% over 2009, probably due to various international political and humanitarian crises.
- The other subsectors that did better than average were education, arts, culture, humanities and public-society benefit nonprofits with gains of 5.2-6.2% over 2009.
- Giving to individuals, religions, foundations, human, health, environmental and animal services subsectors were well below average, ranging from losses of 0.7% to gains of just 1.9% verses 2009.
For more information, you can do a free download of a .pdf of the 19 page Executive Summary of the Giving USA 2011 Report at http://www.givingusareports.org/.
Author: Bob Cryer, Executive Coaches of Orange County, www.ECofOC.org