I was working with one of my Executive Coaching clients on how they might improve the performance of their annual fundraising gala event. I suspected that the yield from their event could be much higher, but I did not have any benchmarks of what should be expected from a gala event.
An internet search led me to the www.greatergiving.com website that had a variety of Guides in their Resource Library. I started with their Best Practices Guide for Benefit Events. This 28 page guide had:
- A planning calendar for what you should do when
- Goals and budgets for investing in the event
- How to market the event and procure auction items
- How to structure, staff and time all the event’s elements
- How to manage registration, data entry and checkout
Their Best Practices Guide for Benefit Events was a good starting point for helping us develop a plan for a much more profitable gala in 2011.
This website also has 15 other in-depth guides on other ways of improving nonprofit fundraising. I suspect that I will be frequent visitor to this website’s Resource Library as I work with other clients on their fundraising programs.